Also known as ‘Snake Hill’, Pavagada was named after the discovery of a stone with a snake engraved on it. The hill fort here was built by a Vijayanagara emperor in 1405, and it was the headquarters of a feudal lord of this empire.
The fortified hill, standing at a height of 3000 feet, was attacked by the chiefs of Ratnagiri, Nidugall and Rayadurga. It was also attacked by the Marathas before being annexed by Haider Ali who further strengthened the fort. During the Srirangapatna campaign this fort fell to the combined might of the Marathas and the English. However, after the signing of the peace agreement, Tipu Sultan recaptured the fort.
How to reach?
Pavagada is well connected by buses from Madhugiri and Tumkur.